[update 11/19] Presentation materials have been posted to http://www.vmug.com/sandiego (acct. req’d)
The San Diego’s VMware User Group all day event on Tues. 10/30 was hosted at the San Diego Marriott in Del Mar. The overall theme for this meeting was “VMworld 2012 Recap”
Especially for those users who did not attend this year’s VMworld, this was an opportunity to briefed on the latest announcements and technology trends that came out of this year’s conference.
Attendance at the all day events is normally double the regular member meetings, so there was a good showing.
The local VMUG leadership team did a great job putting together this event. Many thanks to Christian Boddaert, Chris Catano and Lawrence Dee for their hard work and dedication to maintaining the local user group and to Nth Generation for cosponsoring this event and providing hands on labs.
An especially well attended session was:
- Comparing VMware vSphere 5.1 and Microsoft Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V Both platforms offer major enhancements; find out what Nth Labs tests have revealed!
If you are a local San Diego VMware user and don’t already attend SDVMUG, please consider joining us!
The VMware User Group is an independent, global, customer-led organization consisting of more than 75,000 members worldwide.
Joining is easy, it’s FREE (as in beer). Membership is completely voluntary with no fees or complicated joining process. Sign up, show up and start benefiting from the wealth of knowledge and support provided by your fellow professional VMware community members.
There are a number of ways to get involved and there are varying levels of commitment.
For the latest info and access to presentation content:
- join San Diego Workspace on MyVMUG.org
- join San Diego VMUG Group on LinkedIn
- follow @SanDiegoVMUG on Twitter
For a glimpse at the format and topics covered, take a look at the agenda from the full day event below:
9:00 – 9:30a – Registration & Continental Breakfast
9:30 – 10:30a
– Welcome & Introductions
– IT Trends for the next 1-5 Years
– VMworld Highlights
– vSphere 5.1 for Virtualizing Business Critical Applications
10:30 – 10:40a BREAK
10:30 – 3:30p Hands-on Labs by Nth Generation
Up to 100 45–min Lab Sessions, First Come First Serve –See “Lab Descriptions” below
10:40 – 12:00p
– Cloud Readiness – Strategy, Governance & Security Considerations
– VMware Cloud Management
– vCenter Operations + Demo
– Site Recovery Manager
– VMware Horizon
12:00 – 1:30pm LUNCH & PARTNER EXPO
1:30 – 2:40p
– vSphere 5.1 vs. Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V
– VMware Cloud Infrastructure
– vCloud Networking and Security
– vCloud Director + Demo
– HP Converged Solutions for VMware
o *New* HP Insight Control for vCenter server (Servers, Storage & Network Mgmt)
o *New* HP CloudSystem Matrix integration with vCloud Director (“AutoFlex”)
o *New* ProLiant Gen8 servers, new Advanced Technologies, DL980
o *New* “Flat SAN” with 3PAR Utility Storage & BladeSystem
2:40 – 2:50p BREAK
2:50 – 4:00p
– PaloAlto Networks – Security Solutions for the Physical and Virtual Data Center
– DataCore – Software Defined Storage for the Software Defined Data Center
– CommVault – A Better Way to Protect Virtualized Environments
– Quantum – Protecting and Preserving Data Across Physical, Virtual, and Cloud Environments
4:00 – 5:30p – PARTNER EXPO
-Software Defined Datacenter *
-vCD Infrastructure Resiliency
-vSphere Storage Appliance 5.1
-vCloud Networking and Security Suite *
-vSphere Distributed Switch Features
-VMware Infrastructure Navigator 1.1
-vCM for vSphere 5.4.1
-vCenter Operations Manager 5.0 *
-Site Recovery Manager 5.0
-vSphere 5 Storage Enhancements
-vSphere Auto Deploy
-vSphere Web Client (5.0)
-vCM 5.4 OS Provisioning
-vFabric Application Director
-View 5 Persona Mgt
-View5.1 Pool Management *
* Strongly Recommended